Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Help creating separate worksheets with unique columns

missgina
7 - Meteor

I need to create multiple files and tabs in excel.  The problem is when I prepare the data using a crosstab, every tab ends up with all columns vs. those populated.  I wish to keep only the columns populated.

Here is some sample data

DatasetTabnameGrpDatavalue
X1A1
X1B2
X2B1
Y3C1
Y1B3

I run a cross tab, grouping by dataset and tabname where the Column Header is GRP and Value is Datavalue

I output the data where I create the filename and sheetname as a combination of the Dataset and Tabname.

The issue is Dataset X, Tab 1 shows columns A, B and C with no data in column C

Dataset X Tab 2 also shows column A, B and C with data only in column B.

How can I limit each tab to have only the columns that have data?

4 REPLIES 4
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @missgina one way you can do what you ask is with a batch macro I have mocked a workflow which uses a batch macro. Let me know what you think.

missgina
7 - Meteor

Thanks for trying to help.  Unfortunately I'm not well versed in macros.  I opened your solution and got a warning that it uses a newer version of Alteryx but I'm on the latest so not sure what the issue is.    I'm getting a ? for your macro with "entry point is invalid" error.  Not sure what I need to change to get it to run.

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @missgina 

Once you've extracted the workflow and the macro from the package, in the directory .\Multiple_Excel open the Excel_BatchMacro.yxmc in Notepad.  Change the version number in the second line from 2019.2 to your version number and save the file.

example

<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="2019.2"> 

becomes  

<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="2018.3">

Reopen the main workflow and the macro should be visible

Dan

missgina
7 - Meteor

That worked - thank you...

Labels