Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Help Requested: Error Posting File to Excel in Multi-Chained Alteryx App

isabelle_dinallo
5 - Atom

Hi Alteryx Community,

I am reaching out for assistance with a problem my team and I are encountering within a multi-chained Alteryx application that interfaces with Microsoft Excel. Our application consists of three main parts:

• App 1 - Authentication 
  • App 2 - Data Download
  • App 3 - Output 

In the final app, we output multiple files to Excel. While most of the files are posted without any issues, we are consistently running into a problem with one particular excel file (.xlsx). When we attempt to open this file in Excel, we receive the following error message:

image.png

If we proceed by clicking 'Yes' to recover the contents of the workbook, we find that the file formatting is severely disrupted, rendering the file unusable.

We have tried to troubleshoot this issue internally but have not yet identified the root cause or a solution. Here are some specifics about the problematic file and our process:

• The issue occurs with the same file each time.
  • The file size and complexity are comparable to the files that are posting successfully.
  • The error presents itself regardless of the user or the data being processed.

We would greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions from the community on how to resolve this issue. Has anyone encountered a similar problem, or does anyone have recommendations on steps we can take to diagnose and fix the error?

Thanks,
Isabelle 

4 REPLIES 4
apathetichell
19 - Altair

does this excel file have a space or special character either in the sheet name or file name which does not occur in other files? 

isabelle_dinallo
5 - Atom

Hi, thanks for the response. There is a space in the sheet name of the file, but not the file name itself. 

apathetichell
19 - Altair

your sheet name has to be wrapped in quotes - ie `sheet name` for sheet names with spaces you can test formatting via dragging an input data tool onto canvas select a file/sheetname combo with a sheet name with a space. drag an action tool to edit it. look at the formatting.

isabelle_dinallo
5 - Atom

Thanks for the recommendation, I will investigate this further. Appreciate the insight. 

Labels