Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Grand Total for Rows

jwokurka
7 - Meteor

I just want to easily create a row total for 24 fields without typing out the names of each field. For instance, for all the fields contain the string "DIAG," I just want to create a formula that says sum this row for all fields with "DIAG" in their name. Is there a simple way to do this?

Side Question: Let's say I have 24 fields and I have a reference table that would test the value of each entry in those fields. For instance, let's say each field is a code that goes from A to Z. I have a reference table that identifies certain letters as 1 and the rest as 0. Is there an easy way to append this reference table and total the rows?

Imagine Product A has A B C Z Z Y. the reference table converts those to 0 0 1 1 1 0 so a new total would be 3 for that row. My goal is to get to the 3 number. What's the easiest way to do all these steps in alteryx? I can't find an easy array tool.

3 REPLIES 3
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

J,

The approach that I'd recommend is to TRANSPOSE your product fields (KEY + NAME + VALUE) and then JOIN the data to the lookup table (VALUE = PRODUCT) to return the binary 0/1 result.  You can then SUMMARIZE by Grouping on the KEY and returning the MAX of the result.  You'll get 0/1 results for each key.

Thanks,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
JohnJPS
15 - Aurora

For the first question - if you connect to the data source, and then send it into the "select" tool, you just need to click on the desired field (column) names; no need to type them all out.  Would that be good enough for that portion of your question?

jwokurka
7 - Meteor

Thanks so much for your help! I'll definitely work with transpose in mind from now on. :)

Labels