Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Getting a code from a string

Sammy22
8 - Asteroid

hello,

i have a field which is in the format below. i need to take the code from these fields which is always in the middle after the country name, it is always 9 characters long and starts with either a G or 1.  Any easy way to do this?

BreadFrance103A01D88Bakery 1
PastaItalyG01004375Foods
EggsUnited KingdomG01004375Fresh F
6 REPLIES 6
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Sammy22 one approach would be to use regex. The following Regex will first look for 1 or G then return 8 more characters I also unticked the case insenstive so I don't get a lower case g like in the third row.

Regex_30112021.JPG

Sammy22
8 - Asteroid

This works almost but if there is another 1 or g before the code then it won't work for example if i have the below scenario.

TeaGermanyG12345678Drinks

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Sammy22 updated the regex to look for numbers and captial letters after it finds 1 or G.

Regex_30112021.JPG

Sammy22
8 - Asteroid

This is great thank you! could you explain the expression to me as i have not used regex before please?

Pingu
10 - Fireball

Is it possible you explain the two regex functions in words and the difference between them exactly? Trying to learn regex more... But I don't understand how this now still works even when countries contain a G. Thank you!

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

So first of Im using the parse method to extract the pattern I want to match into a new colmun. ([1G][A-Z0-9]{8}) The brackets () represent the entire pattern I want to parse. [1G] means look for either 1 or captial G then [A-Z0-9]{8} means looks for characters between A-Z captalised and 0-9 for 8 characters. 

Labels