Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

GCP connection from Designer using Simba ODBC Driver

shuxchen
5 - Atom

Hello,

I am trying to read & write data to GCP using Simba ODBC driver 3.0 from Designer. I can connect to the DB and read data using user authentication. However I can't write to GCP using the same connection, seems I do not have write permission to GCP though. Not sure if anyone has done this with success?

Another question is I am currently using the output tool to write to GCP (although not success yet), I wonder if it is possible to pass user defined SQL queries when updating the tables and how?

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

you mean bigquery? do you have permission to write to the db natively?

shuxchen
5 - Atom

I think that's why I can't write with no permission. Assuming later I have permission, I want to find out if we can use SQL queries already defined to update tables in GCP using the output tool?

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

hey - so first off - gcp is the cloud platform - not the db. it could be bigquery/bigtable/cloudsql/etc - so there's a slew of potential databases which could be on gcp (you could be running Oracle on a compute instance - which would be on GCP). So let's first off get specific and make sure that when you say GCP - you mean BQ. You should be able to update a table in BQ depedning upon your permissions. If you have presql/postsql you'll need to use something like an output data tool (vs datastream in/write in-db).

Labels