Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Formula Help

JRodCampbell23
5 - Atom

Image.PNG

I am trying to get the null values in Version, Product, etc columns to auto fill if there is a null value in the rows below.  Once it runs into a non Null value it would then change to the new name and continue with the autofill using the new value.  The excel formula I am trying to duplicate is:  =IF(C2="",C1,C2)  This would change the rows under Version to equal Actual until it finds the non null value of "Forecast" in row 200.  From there it would autofill 201, etc with Forecast.

5 REPLIES 5
Rags1982
10 - Fireball

Hi @JRodCampbell23 , Not sure I've understood fully, but if you want to change a row value to the previous rows value then you can use the multi-row formula tool with an expression such as : If IsNull([Column]) then [Row-1Column] Else [Column] Endif

(I dont have access to Alteryx at the moment, but that formula looks to be right) 

JRodCampbell23
5 - Atom

I am trying to change the Null values in the rows below row 1 to equal row 1.  As the list goes down, it there will be different values in rows. Say Row10 has "Forecast" in the Version column, "Mobile" in the Data Category column.  So going down starting at row 11, I want those 2 columns to equal Forecast and Mobile instead of the values in row 1.

If it's possible to get a screenshot of the actual formula, I could copy it in and see if works.  I couldn't get it work going by the information provided in the previous comment.   Sorry I'm new to Alteryx, so I don't know how everything works.

Rags1982
10 - Fireball

Yes, so what I said should work. 

In the multirow-formula tool you can double click the 'fields' from the 'current fields' section in the interface. 

So you want the formula If IsNull([Version]) then [Row-1:Version] Else [Version] Endif

JRodCampbell23
5 - Atom

Sorry for all the questions.  Is there a way to apply this to multiple columns?  In the multi-row formula it only allows me to update 1 field.  Would I need to copy/paste this multi-row formula and adjust for each column I want it to apply?

flying008
14 - Magnetar
Labels