Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Find the optimal path to connect points using a road network

MakramChehayeb
5 - Atom

Hi Community!!

I am looking for a workflow that allows me to draw a path that connects multiple points, while following a road network (as per the attached).

I attach a sample set of points and underlying road network and also attach an example output I aim to achieve. Is there a way to do this using the lovely alteryx tool :)?

Best,

Makram 

3 REPLIES 3
Hammad_Rashid
11 - Bolide

To create a route from a set of points that follows a road network, you can use the Network Analysis toolset in Alteryx Designer. This toolset allows you to perform various types of network analysis, such as finding the shortest path, the closest facility, the service area, and the origin-destination cost matrix.

The steps are as follows:

• Use the Find Closest tool to find the closest point to each point in your input data. 
  • Use the Spatial Match tool to join the points with the road network. 
  • Use the Spatial Info tool to calculate the length and direction of each segment. 
  • Use the Poly-Build tool to create a polygon that represents your route. 
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@MakramChehayeb 
I assume that we can find the "Site" allocated near the Road Network with buffer area.
But When set up the buffer area to 10m, I got zero match with Spatial Match tool.
When I change to 200m, which can not be real road width I guess, I got something. 😂
1122-MakramChehayeb.png

MakramChehayeb
5 - Atom

Thanks both!

Yes 200m buffer is fine. I am wondering is there an automated way to connect multiple points using the polyline tool while minimizing the distance of the lines used to connect the points?

THanks again!

Makram

Labels