Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find replace not replacing properly

MTS
7 - Meteor

i have 1 dataset with a column and a value

bear

i have a another find/replace dataset with word (as columns)

find: bear

replace: grizzly bear

when i look at the output it shows griz

why doesnt it do entire replacement, the configuration says "Place Found Text With Value: " and i select the 'replace' column in my dataset..

why would it only replace the word with the same amount of char in original? ive never seen a find/replace functionality do this (Word, Excel, Notepad, etc, etc)

if i change the word bear to bearr the replacement is then grizz, showing it uses the # of chars.  can someone explain the behavior and how do i do a standard find/replace

7 REPLIES 7
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @MTS 

This is a column size issue. Please a select tool before find and replace and increase size of the column. Since bear length for 4 the griz was taken of length 4.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @MTS 

Check is workflow out.

atcodedog05_0-1628440280516.png

Hope this helps : )

MTS
7 - Meteor

thanks, my input data is from a Text Input tool. i am playing with the examples for the Find/Replace tool which is only a text Input tool as well, why are these fields size not limited.  So the text input will auto-adjust its length based on the longest value in column and you need the select tool to create a standard default size?  

are CVS files imported also limited by longest characters? is there a setting on import that removes that limitation?  thanks

MTS
7 - Meteor

it actually explains this behavior in the example file for this tool..

another question...  What if I want to find the value in the entire dataset and do a replacement?  this tool only seems to have 1 column as a option...  what tool would I need to do a full find/replace in entire dataset?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @MTS 

@MTS wrote:

are CVS files imported also limited by longest characters? is there a setting on import that removes that limitation?  thanks

Yes thats correct, its not only csv file any data which is inputted will be by default sized to length of the max length string. Hence if there is any manipulation on input field which would require a larger size a select tool would be needed before to increase the size. 

Hope this helps : )

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @MTS 

@MTS wrote:

another question...  What if I want to find the value in the entire dataset and do a replacement?  this tool only seems to have 1 column as a option...  what tool would I need to do a full find/replace in entire dataset?

There is no tool which replaces on the data level. Either you need to apply multiple times on columns or transpose the data apply and crosstab data

Landry
5 - Atom

Thank you @atcodedog05  Was having the same issue and it's such an easy fix when you know the problem.

Seems like it's set up a bit backwards to not allow a text replacement to be longer than the original text; you would assume the column size would be updated to the replacement length.

Labels