Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find Replacing specific cells in table and Looping through multiple iterations

terrence10
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am trying to rename a specific cell in my semi-unformatted dataset:

Dataset.PNG

I want to edit the 4 Placeholder values in this data. The way I currently have it setup is to use 4 Find/Replace tools:

Workflow.PNG

Using a Rename Grid like this: - 

RenameGrid.PNG

And then output the file with the renamed values

Had two questions from this:

1. Is there a way I can have Alteryx target a specific cell (e.g. change Cell B4 "Placeholder1" --> "Blue" -- instead of the Find replace tool that looks at column F2 / F6

This would avoid the case where there are multiple "Placeholder1" values in column F2. I only want Alteryx to change cell Placeholder1 in cell B4.

2. Is there a way to iterate this workflow, so if I add a second row to my Rename grid -- two output files will be produced, with the two different sets of renamed Placeholder values? Want to eventually add 6 entries in my Rename grid

RenameGrid 2.PNG

Workflow and input dataset attached.

Thank you!

3 REPLIES 3
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@terrence10 
If you want to specify the Cell for naming update, it is reasone to assume that we can provide the Cell information in your Name Grid. 

I always use the Combination of Transpose and Cross Tab if we have to deal multiple columns.

A quick sample attached here for single batch and multiple Batch, hope it will help.

0126-terrence10.png0126-terrence10-A.png

terrence10
7 - Meteor

Amazing! Thank you @Qiu for the attached workflow and solution! I was able to apply the workflow to output 6 different "batches" of find/replaces in a single workflow run!

Very cool solution to use the tile tool to label rows and columns, and then join by rows and columns to target a specific cell! I've never used this tool before so cool to see.

Also very neat to setup each set of renames as batches, and then output each batch of files. I noticed that this method seems to run faster than the find/replace workflow as well.

Thanks a lot again!

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@terrence10 
Glad to help 😂

Labels