Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Find Files with Missing Fields

TR
8 - Asteroid

I have a folder with > 1K .tab files and about 10% of them are missing two attributes (columns) which need to be added in order to not be skipped using the input tool. How would I find these files and add the missing attributes (columns)? 

Thanks in advance,

Todd

7 REPLIES 7
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@TR,

Try this macro out (Union by Name + Type).  It calls a batch macro (batch union).  When you use it, you'll identify a template field map (what you think that you need).  Next you'll give it a directory to start looking in (it will search all subdirectories).  Give it a wildcard search term like "FindMe" as part of the filename.  you can then specify a file type (tab) and it should read all of your data (even if there are missing columns).  You'll get warnings for each of the files with missing data fields.

It is worth a try...

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
rohanonline
10 - Fireball

You can select the option to include filename from the input tool. Then summarize by filenames to see which files are included. Join them with the list of all files to find what is missing.

Input.JPG

Input 2.JPG

TR
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @rohanonline the join was the missing piece in my workflow as I was trying to solve this using both the input and browse tools separately. I only had to add an additional Formula tool to append the +".TAB" to the filename on the Input Tool to have it join and show me what files were missing. I grouped on filename and summed the missing field(s). I definitely had "workflow block" on figuring this out.

Much thanks!

Todd

TR
8 - Asteroid

Thanks @MarqueeCrew for the fast reply. I'm going to check out your workflows and save them for future use in my war chest. I was able to quickly add a join using the other proposed solution and figured it out. Have a great week!

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

You might find that with the macro, you wouldn't need to update the 10% of the files....

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
TR
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, however the current version of Alteryx I'm using hasn't been upgraded yet so I'll have to check them out a bit later. I do in fact want to identify the files missing attributes and add them to each file...

gc
9 - Comet

FYI you may not need to upgrade to use the workflows. Get Notepad++, open the Alteryx files, and update <AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="11.0"> to <AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="10.5">. That's how I see/use the current version solutions with Designer 10.6

Labels