Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Filling of cells

Candykobli
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I am cleaning a dataset, and I noticed that there are some cells with a null value while other cells have some value under the same condition. For example:

CountryGDP
Germany10000000
GermanyNull
Germany10000000
France20000000
FranceNull

I need to replace the null value with the GDP of each country, like this:

CountryGDP
Germany10000000
Germany10000000
Germany10000000
France20000000
France20000000

How can I do that? There are many countries in this situation.

Thank you for your help.

6 REPLIES 6
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Candykobli, there's a few ways you could do this i.e. taking a max with a Summarize and re-joining. However, I think this is a little simpler:

1) Sort values (within [Country]) in descending order so the non-null value is always first

2) Use a Multi-Row Formula to fill down

Hope this helps!

1231.png

ed_hayter
12 - Quasar

I opted for a filter out Nulls create a lookup table with a GDP for every country that is nonnull (Logic was to take the first value but you could use different logic if you have a choice of values). Then join onto the NULL cases and replace Null GDP with the populated one. Union the filled data with the original data used for the lookup table for the expected outcome

image.png

Candykobli
7 - Meteor

Thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate. You saved my life🤗. Thanks a lot!

FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

If you love macros you'll love this solution

image.png

DataNath
17 - Castor

Here's another way of going about it where we just take the count of records and the max GDP per country (so it removes the nulls). After that, we just generate the number of rows necessary for each Country:

1232.png

Candykobli
7 - Meteor

All your solutions work very well. Thank you again!

Labels