Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

FTP Upload

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Hello Everyone-

I have a situation wherein I have to upload multiple (3 in this example)  CSV's on to a FTP server , I was able to built the code successfully going through all the helpful articles (Thank you all for the same!)  however the issue is when the code (which is deployed) on the server processes it only uploads 1st out of the 3 files that needs to be pushed on to the FTP server and when i process the same code locally all 3 files are successfully pushed on to the FTP server . 

I am not sure what i need to do to fix this issue and will really appreciate some direction regarding same. 

Thank you very much in advance.

MD

9 REPLIES 9
Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @MD2050 

Can you share how the workflow ? It's very hard to diagnose what might be happening without knowing how it was built.

Some workflows or logic dynamics that work perfectly within Designer, must be changed to make them work in Server.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

path references on server are different than path references in designer. If you are updating a specific path using an action tool and using the update value it's quite possible that the path you are looking to replace is not accurate on server.

The best way to check for this is to open the server version of your workflow and check the config of the action tools and see if the paths now reference directories (usually something like "..\externals...") whereas the action tool still reference directories from your desktop version of Designer. If this is the case - the best solution is to use a blanket update input data tool/update output data tool config for the action tool.

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @apathetichell , @Aguisande -

I will try to answer both the comments. Apologies for not sharing the entire WF because of confidentiality, although first snippet below is the essence of the final steps. Part which says "after Blob input" shows a table which has 3 "FullPath" records corresponding to different filenames example - [FQDN]+ file1 ,[FQDN]+ file2, [FQDN]+ file3 .  

Since we cannot upload the CSV's as-is so we passed the files through "Blob Input" which then creates the "Blob" column in that table with size , the data is then passed through the Formula tool which has the FTP address followed by the file name (which is parsed out of the FullPath) which looks like [FTP Addr]+File 1, [FTP Addr]+File 2 and [FTP Addr]+File 3 the table looks like in the part below that says "after Formula Tool" . So basically we get 3 unique "url's"

coming out of formula tool for 3 separate files .The resultant is then passed through the FTP Download tool , tool configuration is pasted below .

I am using FQDN's throughout the code so there is no mismatch between local machine and server code.

Please notice the sequence of actions in the last snippet below highlighted in red the "Blob Input" reads 2 files and then the "Download" tool is triggered even before the 3rd file is completely read by "Blob Input", and that is the only file (ending with POH) i see on the FTP server the other 2 don't show up.

Hope this will be helpful. Thank you very much for helping me. MD

MD2050_0-1647555347922.png

MD2050_1-1647555848047.png

MD2050_2-1647556189999.png

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hey @MD2050 

The only observation I have is that in the results, there are 2 Warnings regarding (I presume)  the two missing files...

Can you check the FTP urls and the FTP server response to see if it's something related to that?

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @Aguisande -

Correct , although the "warning" is for all 3 files and only the first file (POH) file is written. notice the warning after the 2 Blob Input steps.

Below snippet shows the responses after the "Download Tool", interestingly the first 2 files should successfully get written up to the FTP server although only the POH file is successfully written. the 3rd file does not go through the same steps as the first 2 although the final comment says "transfer complete". Hope this helps. 

MD2050_0-1647558078292.png

Aguisande
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

That's weird. FTP FQDN is the same for the three files?

Log is quite different in the third file (not switching to Binary, no changing directories).

Maybe we can see that working in a Zoom session?

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

@Aguisande

Thank you very much for the offer and help. 

Is there anything you could suggest that i can try offline ? 

Thank you MD

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @MD2050 

Could it possibly be a concurrency issue that is only happening on the serve, i.e. too many open connections to FTP site? Try putting a Throttle tool before the Download tool and set it to pass 10 Records per minute.  That should give you 1 transfer every 6 seconds.   If this works, you can try decreasing the interval.

Dan

MD2050
8 - Asteroid

Hello @danilang - 

Sincere apologies for the late reply . 

I tried your solution and unfortunately it didn't work out. Thank you very much. MD

Labels