Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Excel file(.xlsb) exported, shows only last row when Open in Excel.

JoseHerrera
6 - Meteoroid

Hi,

I noticed that when an excel file is created (.xlsb) using Alteryx when I open that file it shows the last row with data and down from there, basically a bunch of blank rows.

joseherrera_1-1614964205012.png

Is there way to setup a configuration that in Alteryx that when I open the file in Excel it will shows the first rows?

joseherrera_0-1614964188469.png

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @JoseHerrera 

Can you provide us with the configuration on the output data tool? If I understood it correctly, it doesn't really make sense.

I attached a simple WF that outputs to an excel file. Let me know if this is happening as well with the attached WF.

skeen503979
8 - Asteroid

@JoseHerrera 

In your "Output Data" tool is the Output Option (# 3) configured to "Append to Existing Sheet"?  It might be cleaner to select the "Overwrite File (Remove)" option so that your results are always fresh and won't be confused with previous results.

skeen503979_0-1614965157862.png

JoseHerrera
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @pedrodrfaria 

You made me realize that the problem is with .xlsb type files.

This is the configuration I am using.

joseherrera_0-1614965469775.png

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

@JoseHerrera 

Is working with a xlsb file the only way? Or could we work with a xlsx for example?

JoseHerrera
6 - Meteoroid

@pedrodrfaria 

I need to use xlsb given some size constraints I have.

JoseHerrera
6 - Meteoroid

@skeen503979 thanks, but the problem is with a xlsb not a xlsx.

skeen503979
8 - Asteroid

@JoseHerrera 

Did you resolve the issue by overwriting the file rather than appending to existing sheet?  Once you start dealing with data that can't be contained in Excel it's best to output as an Alteryx Database file (.yxdb).  It's SUPER helpful at improving workflow speed and won't cry if the number of rows exceeds Excel's limits.

Just a thought.

skeen503979_0-1615221844101.png

Labels