Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Error Message tool troubleshooting

PiyushJain
8 - Asteroid

Hi Team,

Good Morning, 

Need your help to address below issue.

My requirement is : Do not pass any data if Flag is "N".

I am using "Block untill done" and "Message tool "together. 

Both tools are connected.like

Source-->>Block untill done-->>Message

So that the output of message tool ,i can again using  in block until tool and thus restrict the data feed ( if flag is N) .

The  coloumn name " Flag" .

This coloumn having values like

N

In message tool i used below option:

Before rows where expressions  is True

And i am using below expression:

Flag = "N" And

Message Type is

"Error and Stop passing records through this tool"

NOW my expectation is that when i run the flow .. 

There will be no record in the output.

But i am geeting records those are having Flag = Y,

in message tool and getting no record in Output of block until done tools.Is this correct/ expected.

Or it there will be no record coming from both output. 

ideally i need to use the output of Block until tool.but if data coming in message tool output ,then this will impact my workflow running performance. 

Please advise .

Regards

Piyush

14 REPLIES 14
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @PiyushJain ,

I have prepared something that might solve the issue.

Hope it helps

regards

PiyushJain
8 - Asteroid

Thanks afv2688,

It is working for message tool.

But my workflow required connection with block until tool then  message tool.

Because the output of message tool again i will use via. Block until tool ,to get the final output..

Hope i am able to explain properly. Please let me know if additional information required. 

I tried to connect block until tool with the workflow that you provide.

But could not able to understand how to proceed..

Please advise..

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @PiyushJain ,

I am sorry I don't know if I am getting it right, you want to get the results saved in an output tool and then afterwards check if what is saved has the correct relationship with what you expect from the mesage tool?

I am having trouble with your expected result.

Regards

PiyushJain
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Soory if i am not able to explain my issue properly. 

Ignore the word "output tool"

Let me try to explain again, 

As per my understanding

Block until done  tool works order wise 

Like step 1 finish then step 2 start.....so on.

So in Block until done tool..

In 1st step an error message tool is connected with1 browse tool to store the output.

Now as per the " Block untill done" tool properties. 

Once the 1st step run successfully, then only 2nd step will run ,so if Flag is N for 1st step.. then it should stop at that point and gave zero result and then order wise when step 2 comes in picture.it will also provide zero result.

That is my requirement..

Please advise.

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @PiyushJain ,

Block until done is a tool designer mainly for saving files and avoid issues. Lets say for example you want to write two sheets on an excel file. With the block until done, it would first write on one sheet then the next one avoiding that way problems during the load of data to the file.

It can be used of course in many other cases but given here as far as I understand that you want to check firs if there is some "N" data on a specific column or not and if it is to pass no data to the end, my first proposed solution should suffice.

If you change on my example the results to be all "Y" you will see that the data goes through, if not, no data will continue passing by.

Regards

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@PiyushJain & @afv2688 ,

here's my hack for only outpouring if everything is without error.  I use a combination of: summarize, append and filter. 

summarize your N values and get a count of them. To be safe, create a text input where value = N and count = 0.  Union that data and sort by count descending. Sample 1 records by grouping value.  Filter to value = N

you will either get N|0 or N|1+

append the count back to your data. This will prevent our block the data until all values were counted.  Now you can filter on count = 0.  Good data, all of it will be true.  If 1 record is bad, then everything goes false.  

use a select tool to get rid of your count Field and you're ready for an Output tool. 

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
PiyushJain
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the clarification. 

But if i go ahead with 1st proposed solution,,help me to understand, how can used the output ( that is flag N with no records) to my next subsequent workflow ( as an input ) so that my next step understand the logic and falis or stop automatically. 

Ideally i  need to automate this process..

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

You can still use an error message and stop the workflows before the append of count > 0.  Use a CReW conditional runner is a way of automating.  

chaosreignswithin.com

cheers,

mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
ChrisTX
16 - Nebula

Are you trying to stop running the workflow if Flag = N?

Could you use the first 4 tools in the workflow from @afv2688 and use the workflow runtime flag for Cancel Running Workflow on Error?

ChrisTX_1-1637065134229.png

Chris

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels