Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Email tool not sending

derm
7 - Meteor

Hi, I have a workflow that has two files (File A and File B) that are filtered, joined together, put through layout, then sent as an email. The problem I have though is sometimes File A goes through the filters and 0 records come out (this is normal because of the stipulations I have). When this happens, File B cannot join with File A, 0 records are passed through to the layout tool from the join tool, and then no email is able to be sent out. I want to figure out if I can insert something like "No Trades Today" in place of File A when there's a case of 0 records. I'm thinking a conditional expression. If not that, is there a way I have File B just continue normally through the workflow and go through layout, then the email tool? I'll take whatever solution is easiest.

Thanks and I hope this wasn't too convoluted.

Best,

Derm

6 REPLIES 6
oneillp111
9 - Comet

Without seeing your flow it is kind of difficult but what I do is use a count records and if the count is greater than 0 use the fileA else if count = 0 then use a dummy fileSnap.png

output with data from A

OutputWithDataFromA.png

Output without Data from A

OutputWithoutDataFromA.png

derm
7 - Meteor

This is my flow. How would you approach it? 

oneillp111
9 - Comet

you could add parts from my example to the end of each leg of the files before the join, and use the same logic to count records and use the logic a dummy file or a real file

oneillp111
9 - Comet

@derm , I would use the logic on both input files and have them determine record count, if no records then use a dummy template so the join completes, then from there determine the kind of email to send, either a "No Records today" or attached at todays records, something like that

derm
7 - Meteor

How would I use the dummy file? I know I need to use the formula tool but I'm not sure how to do it where it uses the formula tool when empty and the original files when records are present.

oneillp111
9 - Comet

Here is what I would do for each input

CheckFile.png

The count will determine if we use the actual data file or the dummy file with contains 1 row of data saying no data to output.  Feed the output from the formula to the dynamic input tool, then join both data sets and check to see if you find any cells that say no data

Labels