Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic columns using Join tool

cbm1999
5 - Atom

Hi,

I've been trying to implement a solution to use an interface for the user to select a specific months data where this is then inputted into a workflow. I'm able to input this data using wildcards and an interface but I have issues during the workflow. 

I initially set up the workflow for the month of march so the Join tool currently looks for the march date columns rather than dynamically looking for the month selected's dates, and therefore comes up with an error saying that the march date columns couldn't be found. I would like the dates for the month selected to look like this example of March:

cbm1999_0-1628611447879.png

But when I choose January, for example, it returns the error:

"The field "2021_03_01" is not contained in the record."

How would I get the date columns in the Join tool to change and update depending on the month selected? 

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 REPLIES 2
ellen-wiegand
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Could you post an example workflow with some dummy data?

apathetichell
19 - Altair

I do this with dynamic select - you have to feed the value into your dynamic select tool so you are basically matching the name with what's selected (not - there are other ways to do this like transposing and using name and a filter tool - or using a dropdown or list box in select mode) but dynamic select sounds really cool... Basically as @ellen-wiegand said - post some data and someone can mock this up...

Labels