Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic List of Values as a report parameter

glombard
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I'm having some issues with the Dynamic List of Values as a report parameter.

When I run the workflow on Alteryx designer, the dynamic list of values added on the workflow works fine, but when I publish the report in Alteryx portal, the dynamic list of values is not refreshed.

As a workaround, I have to run the workflow in Alteryx designer, once the dynamic list of values is refreshed I have to publish the report.

How can I fix this issue to get the dynamic list of values refreshed without running the workflow in Lateryx designer and then publishing the workflow?

i've attached the workflow as your reference.

I appreciate your comments and help on this.

Regards,

@glombard 

8 REPLIES 8
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I'm not quite following you but it sounds like you want chained apps - one app to refresh values, one app to run a report. I think you are skipping something like a UI component that changes fields in the report?

glombard
7 - Meteor

Hi @apathetichell 

Thank you for your answer.

As you can see on the attached file, the Resource Query and Process Name Query I use to get the options or parameters to get the information on the report.

If I run the workflow on Designer, if there is a new Resource or Process Name, that value is populated on the list of values or options. When I publish the workflow in a private gallery, if there is a new Resource or Process Name, the new value is not populated on the workflow in a private gallery published.

If I want to get the new value populated on the workflow published on the private gallery, I have to run the workflow in Designer to get the new values populated and publish the workflow on the private gallery.

When you say " I think you are skipping something like a UI component that changes fields in the report", what you mean?

Regards,

@glombard 

csmith11
11 - Bolide

I understand the issue.

The reason this is happening is because the gallery stores the workflow at the current state it was in when uploaded to gallery.

Even though new values are added (For you Drop Downs), these values did not exist when workflow was published to the Gallery. Consequently, they are not displayed.

I'm thinking about possible solutions.

csmith11
11 - Bolide

Okay. So as opposed to using the the current method to pull the list of values.

I'd recommend storing the list of Values in an External File saved on a shared drive.

You can schedule a workflow that will periodically update these Extremal files.

Then use the below method to load those values in from the External File(s). You'll have to use an UNC path. The Server Will need to have access to the shared drive where this files are store. (Both to update these lists and to read from these lists)

csmith11_1-1635266252624.png

This method behaves differently because it is able to query the External list each time you open your workflow up as an APP.

The other method fails because it requires the workflow to run at least once before the values are available for use.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Where are you getting the new values in your drop downs from? Like you say that they change on your designer - but take a step back and walk through the process....

glombard
7 - Meteor

Hi @csmith11 ,

Thank you for your comments.

Instead, to use an external file I'm trying to use a query to get the values to be used on the parameters section but I'm not able to get the values.

Could you please take a look at the Test-LOV file and let me know your comments?

I appreciate your help.

Regards,

Gilberto

csmith11
11 - Bolide

Unfortunately anytime you use the Fields from Connected Tool Option, the the drop down list will not update until the workflow is run.

When the workflow runs: Meta data is created from the connected tool and saved for use when run as an app. This Metadata is saved with the workflow and only updated when you open the workflow and rerun the workflow. So when run as an App on your desktop or run on the Gallery any changes in the Database will NOT be reflected.

But if you use an external File (Containing NAME and VALUE) that is periodically updated from your database (Using a scheduled Workflow) then your APP will update the Drop down values dynamically. At least as often as the scheduled Workflow updates the values.

csmith11
11 - Bolide

@apathetichell made a great point.

What you really need to use in your scenario is a Chained App.

The First App will Query your Database and Create a List containing the Name and Value to be used in your drop downs. (Set this path relative to your workflow) Simple YXDB file is fine.

csmith11_1-1635300373483.png

Once First app runs without errors it'll kick off the Second App.

csmith11_0-1635300162039.png

The Second App is your main Process with your drop downs that are populated by the first app. You'll need to use the external file option and reference the DropDownValue.yxdb file created in first app. (Reference this path as the same folder as your workflow as well.) Ensure both workflows are in the same location.

To upload a chained app to Gallary you only need to publish the first App and the second app will be published with it:

Notice how it is included as an Asset when publishing the first app.

csmith11_2-1635300574145.png

For additional information see this discussion here:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/Publishing-chained-apps-to-Gallery/td-p/...

Labels