Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Inputs

PN2527
8 - Asteroid

I have a file with the following three columns. The requirement is to build an analytic app for the user to select the material and material description from the dropdown and then in a text box fill the value corresponding to each of those materials.

MaterialMaterial Description Value
121MD110.59
134MD223.57
145MD367.45
178MD446.78

Thank you!

9 REPLIES 9
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @PN2527 ,

Do you need that to be dynamic? I.e if the user selects the material 121, it automatically shows the material description MD1.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

PN2527
8 - Asteroid

@fmvizcaino 

Yes, this needs to be dynamic as in the first user selects the material number which then auto-populates the material description of the chosen material number and also, gives the user a text box to enter the value field.

This output table with three fields is stored in a table that will be joined with the rest of the workflow.

PN2527
8 - Asteroid

@fmvizcaino 

To elaborate on the problem further, I have attached the sample workflow. In the attached workflow, the columns in the data container need to be dynamically inputted by the user through an analytic app. The material should be a dropdown; material description auto-populated based on the selected material and the user gets a text box to dynamically enter the value for the selected material.

Please let me know if there is any better way to approach this. Also, let me know if you need further information from my end.

PN2527
8 - Asteroid

@BrandonB 

Can you please look into this? This is a bit urgent.

Looks like this a case of Chained Alteryx Analytics.

BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @PN2527 

The one piece that will be a restriction is that the text inputs you are looking for are static because they correspond to interface tools on the canvas.

As another way of approaching this, what about one app that uses the interface tools to help an individual pull the materials that are relevant and output an Excel file with another column where a user will put the values in that are required. A second analytic app has a File Browse interface tool that takes the Excel file that they filled with information and uploads it to then go through the rest of the process. 

Chained apps do allow for multi-step processes, but the number of interface tools stays the same. The data that is generally changes are the values that become available in the existing interface tools that are fed by the previous analytic app. 

PN2527
8 - Asteroid
@BrandonBThanks for looking into this. Appreciate it! Will it be possible for you to update the existing 'Sample Workflow' based on your inputs. Sorry, not sure how to build this one. The goal is to make this completely dynamic and avoid storing any file locally, if possible.
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @PN2527 ,

Sorry for taking so long to answer.

I've built a chained analytical app but as @BrandonB mention, the interface tools are static so it is possible to add one at a time as follows.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

PN2527
8 - Asteroid

@fmvizcaino @BrandonB This works. However, it is allowing to select only one material at a time. Can the user select all materials in a single run? Also, the second should be the main landing page for the user to enter the value. Just wondering how this will work on the server.

fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @PN2527 ,

Since the interface tools are not dynamic, it is not possible to let the user select how many products he wants to include and them to show multiple drop downs dynamically.

In server, you only need to configure your output files to be written in a shared folder, that way your analytical app will work as it is working in designer.

Best,

Fernando V.

Labels