Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic Input syntax issues / possible suggestion

mnmemilymnm
8 - Asteroid

Whenever I use the Dynamic Input tool -- or really any tool that modifies a SQL query, like some of the Interface tools -- I constantly get tripped up by Alteryx's tendency to change the case and spacing of my SQL queries.

For example, if I write a SQL query with the following WHERE clause:

WHERE LEFT([String],5) IN ('ABCDE','FGHIJ')

Even if I copy and paste that exact text into the SQL Editor, Alteryx will make slight changes. The new text will look something like:

where Left([String], 5) in ('ABCDE', 'FGHIJ')  

The changes are: 1.) WHERE changed to where, 2.) LEFT changed to Left, 3.) space added between [String] and 5, 4.) IN changed to in, and 5.) space added between 'ABCDE' and 'FGHIJ'

Then, in the Configuration Window, when I choose "Modify SQL Query --> Replace a Specific String," if I enter the SQL that I originally wrote, Alteryx won't recognize it since the capitalization/case and spaces are slightly different than what's contained in the SQL Editor. I have to re-open the SQL Editor, copy the string of interest (i.e. the string that Alteryx changed the case of / added spaces to), and paste it into the "Replace a Specific String" window.

Has anyone figured out a way to not get tripped up by this? Is there a way to tell Alteryx to stop changing the case and/or stop adding spaces to my SQL queries?

If not, is there a way to suggest to Alteryx that the SQL Editor ingest the text exactly as entered, as opposed to tweaking the case and spacing?

1 REPLY 1
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@mnmemilymnm 
I have given a few tries, not with the same query you are using though.
It appears that the bahaviror is somehow unpredicitive...😁
Based on the test, if we modify the query in the Query Editor, it will somehow retain the formatting, casing.

Labels