Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic Input and Output Question

GreenApple24
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all,

Currently stuck on a small obstacle and was wondering if anyone had any insight. 

I am working with three different files. I am using the Directory tool + Dynamic Input to pull the 3 files together from a folder. After the files are combined together, I perform some edits. The first column contain unique identifiers. Is there a way to output the combined file back out into the three different files after doing these edits as a combined whole. The problem I am running into is that when I use the dynamic input, the three files are getting combined together, but I don't know how to split the combined file back out into the three files again.

Attached below are the three example files. 

Thanks in advance for the help,

GreenApple

4 REPLIES 4
rohityaman
8 - Asteroid

Simplest solution would be to create identifier for each file (like file1, file2 and file3) attached to each dataset. Then use the option as shown in attached image to split the output file based on identifier column.

File_Splitting.jpg

GreenApple24
6 - Meteoroid

Do you know a way to create a column identifier without opening each excel file in the directory. This is assuming that there is a dynamic amount of files in a directory which means not manually creating a workflow to add a column in?

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

Assuming the filenames are already unique since they are in the same folder, in your dynamic input select the option to output the filename. You can use that field as your identifier and customize it as needed.

GreenApple24
6 - Meteoroid

I just found this using the edit function and this was what I was looking for. thanks!

Labels