Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Detour tool

vamsey
8 - Asteroid

Hi Evereyone,

I have a floder which refreshes daily if the file contain any records the file will come with file name input.xlsx and if the file doesnot contain any record it comes as  input_NA.xlsx as shown in figure.

vamsey_0-1634825111530.png

I have to run the workflow if the input file is present on that day and have to set an alrert email if no files are present on that day.

3 REPLIES 3
Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @vamsey,

I would go the approach of using a filter tool, separating out into two streams (one for the main workflow and another for the email) depending on whether or not the file contains records.

Kind regards,

Jonathan

vamsey
8 - Asteroid

Hi Jonathan,

I tried that but if the file is not there the worflow won't run and it will through up an error if I use fiter tool. That's why I thought of using detour tool.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @vamsey 

What you can do is read the input file with wildcard name like Input*.xlsx refer below

Case 1: Only Input.xlsx is present and data is present. In this scenario, only Input.xlsx is read.

atcodedog05_1-1634905580533.png

Case 2: Only Input_NA.xlsx is present and no data is present. In this scenario, only Input_NA.xlsx is read and since it doesn't have the required columns the workflow will throw an error. You can configure an event to trigger an email upon error. 

atcodedog05_2-1634905613944.png

Refer this page on how to configure event: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Email-Events-to-notify-on-Start-or-... 

Hope this looking what you are looking for.

Hope this helps : )

Labels