Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

DateTimeParse Issue - year 1800s not parsing

HarryRoles
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I am currently using the following formula to parse dates all into yyyy-mm-dd format so I can apply the relevant filter to see the data I need. However, when testing, I am finding that it is parsing 1900 and 2000 dates fine, but the 1800 dates have an error. On the alteryx functions the earliest date should go up to 1400, so not sure why I get this error.

Error Message Example:

ConvError: Formula (59): DATETIMEPARSE: Cannot convert "06/06/1800" to a date/time with format "%Y/%d-%m": Month number is out of range 1..12: '1800'

Formula being used:

DateTimeParse([Date of Birth],"%Y/%d-%m")

Appreciate if someone could assist!

10 REPLIES 10
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @HarryRoles,

Please try this formula:

DateTimeParse([Date of Birth],"%Y/%d-%M")

I have changed m with M

HarryRoles
7 - Meteor

Hi Emil,

I changed to M but its now changing the 06/06/1800 value to "2006-01-06 00:18:00"

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @HarryRoles,

You are right:

DateTimeParse([Date of Birth],"%d/%m/%y")

I am still learning date parsing.

HarryRoles
7 - Meteor

Hi Emil,

Although this seems to have fixed the parsing for 1800 year values, it now seems to make the 1900 & 2000 values null / blank in the browse once run.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @HarryRoles,

Can you share the data sample with me.

For me it looks like it works perfectly.

Emil_Kos_0-1611246299366.png

Please check my workflow.

Maybe you need to switch Month with date in the formula? 

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Try using the datetime tool. It will allow you to do the conversions, and is a little more straightforward. All you have to do is select the format of the original date field.

In a formula, the following should work as well:

DateTimeParse([Field1],"%m/%d/%y")

echuong1_0-1611246658229.png

HarryRoles
7 - Meteor

Hi,

Thanks for the help. The tool was useful, however I'm now seeing something really weird.

When I input my file, all of the dates are in 01/01/1900 format, and obviously my goal is to change them to 1900-01-01. For some reason when the file is loaded, a handful of records get auto formatted in Alteryx to the dash format, which is making them not parse into a new column as I want.

Any suggestions?

Have attached examples of it changing and the warning message i get.

echuong1
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hm, interesting!

A workaround for this is to use a conditional formula to pick up the correct value. Essentially, anything that is in the YYYY-MM-DD format will not be converted with the datetime() tool. 

echuong1_0-1611326102629.png

HarryRoles
7 - Meteor

Hey,

Okay, that makes sense. My end goal here is to be able to filter to see dates greater than 100 years, and dates within the last 5 years. How would I do this if there are two fields with DOBs in (the original one where some auto format, and the second one being created as part of the parsing?

Thank you very much for the help!

Labels