Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Date properly formatted in Excel do not convert to alteryx date format

EasyDDI
6 - Meteoroid

I am trying to work on an Excel spreadsheet imported with correctly formatted dates. When the dataset is imported to Alteryx everything seems fine and dandy and I see the dates with the correct Alteryx ISO format 2020-10-26. But they are not, they are in fact strings and whatever I try to make sure they are in a date format in Alteryx is not working I tried datetimeparse([Original Date],'%m/%d/%y'), I tried todate(left([Original Date],4)+"-"+substring([Original Date],4,2)+"-"+Substring([Original Date],6,2)), I tried to use the DateTime tool, it remains a string. It starts to be aggravating since I cannot use a date which is a string in m

13 REPLIES 13
EasyDDI
6 - Meteoroid

I don't think I could change it, but I found a simple solution, I will write it down clearly later today in the thread. 

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @EasyDDI 

If your are overwriting a column you cannot change the datatype. 

atcodedog05_0-1603905322935.png

Only if you are creating a new column you can set it.

So the suggestion would be is your F1-Date is V_String create another column in Formula tool

F1-Date(A) of date datatype. Later rename, deselect the old one and handle it in select tool.

Hope this helps 🙂

EasyDDI
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks for all the help, I am pretty new to Alteryx and not very used to the way it works. I had an excel with a date formatting and when I was loading the excel into my alteryx flow, the date formatting was disappearing and all my dates were showing as string instead. 

EasyDDI_0-1603909835299.png

I was trying to convert it back in the same column and whatever I was doing was ending up as a string and I could not load my data in my database since it did not have a date format.
After much back and forth I simply ended by using the Select tool and change the format of the fields. It worked:

EasyDDI_1-1603910010431.png

All this aggravation for a very simple and elegant solution.

Thanks to all the guys that had a look into it. It put me on the right tracks.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

It should have auto detected as date. Strange

Glad to hear it worked 🙂

Do check is there any Null values after conversion just to be on a safer side

Labels