Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Data type

swhitmeyer
8 - Asteroid

Hi - I am trying to change the data Type, Size and Scale of one data source (right side) to another data source (left side), see sample data below.

NameTypeSizeScaleRight_NameRight_TypeRight_SizeRight_Scale
ACCUM_DIVD_AMTFixedDecimal194ACCUM_DIVD_AMTFixedDecimal192
ADMN_SYS_CDEV_WString50 ADMN_SYS_CDEString8 
ADV_PREM_REFUND_AMTFixedDecimal194ADV_PREM_REFUND_AMTFixedDecimal192
ADV_PREM_REFUND_QLTY_CDV_WString50 ADV_PREM_REFUND_QLTY_CDString10 
AGMT_HIST_FR_DTDate10 AGMT_HIST_FR_DTDateTime19 
AGMT_TOT_ANNUAL_PREM_AMTFixedDecimal194AGMT_TOT_ANNUAL_PREM_AMTFixedDecimal192
AGREEMENT_PAYMENT_TIME_PERIODV_WString50 AGREEMENT_PAYMENT_TIME_PERIODString4 
AGREEMENT_SOURCE_CDV_WString50 AGREEMENT_SOURCE_CDV_String20 
8 REPLIES 8
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hi @swhitmeyer ,

if you want to do this within a workflow, all changes should be possible using a Select tool, just select the data type and size. There is no specific conversion needed.

2021-09-22_14-39-30.jpg

Best,

Roland

swhitmeyer
8 - Asteroid

Thanks, I need to change over 300 fields for multiple tables so I was hoping there was some dynamic lookup way to do this. It would take too long to go through each field within the select tool. 

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar
dYoast
11 - Bolide

Where is your data coming from?  Is it possible to change the types at the source?

I know this could be done in SQL Server using views and CAST AS datatype.

Pravallika20
8 - Asteroid

Hi @swhitmeyer 

Did you try using Multi Field formula tool? You can change columns with the similar datatype at once

Pravallika20_0-1632316064720.pngPravallika20_1-1632316119563.png

swhitmeyer
8 - Asteroid

Unfortunately the data source changes so I want to convert the input data to look like it has in the past so it flows through all my workflows

Pravallika20
8 - Asteroid

Hi @swhitmeyer ,

Can you please provide the sample input , output files and elaborate your problem statement 

swhitmeyer
8 - Asteroid

@Pravallika20 Same data is provided in original post. I am trying to change the data Type, Size and Scale of one data source (see the first 4 fields of sample data) using the data Type, Size and Scale of the last 4 fields. For example for AGMT_HIST_FR_DT, I need to change from DateTime 19 to Date 10. Hopefully that makes sense.

Labels