Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula Tool - Numeric Data Type

hlannguyen
8 - Asteroid

Hello Professionals,

I understand to compute numbers is to use numeric data type or the formula tool will show an error. In the Configuration Window, I'm still unclear why the Formula Tool (compute numeric data type from the input data) doesn't show an error though we don't change Data Type to numeric (attached example).

Thank you,

6 REPLIES 6
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I think of it as "anything can be converted to a string - not everything can be converted to a number"

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

Tax and price are both numeric data types so doing math with them is no issue.  The result of that is also a number, but the field type is saving that result as a string data type. 

hlannguyen
8 - Asteroid

Got it. Thank you @apathetichell

hlannguyen
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @SPetrie . This is just a conversion of a numeric result. From this result, If we connect with some other tools and want to compute another numeric function, we will need to convert this string data type to numeric data type?

SPetrie
12 - Quasar

Correct. To be used as a number, the result would either need to be saved as a numeric data type, or you would need to use another formula to convert it to a number before any additional numeric operations can be applied to it.

hlannguyen
8 - Asteroid

@SPetrie Got it. Thank you.

Labels