Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Data Input from a Directory (all Excel files)

synergy825
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I am trying to input from a directory with a list of Excel files.  Each file is labeled as a Year from 1966 to 2022.  In the input tool, I put the *.xlsx to pull all the files in the file directory.

however, when I listed the years in Tableau to check it only had some of the years:

synergy825_0-1678645544715.png

I have attached the workflow here, as well as a couple of the files that have years missing.  Can you please let me know what I'm doing wrong?

6 REPLIES 6
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @synergy825 

I can't reproduce with this data, all 4 files loaded in fine. If I had to guess, with your full dataset you might be seeing a warning that the files that are missing have different schemas, which is common when loading multiple excels. If that's the case you could use a batch macro to load the data instead.

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@synergy825 Like @Luke_C mentioned there were no issues loading the files. You can add a summarize tool and check the years in Alteryx itself

binuacs_0-1678648303131.png

synergy825
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Luke_C ,

Yes, it does say different schema.  I'm fairly new to Alteryx, how can I utilize a batch macro to do this?  Thank you!

Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @synergy825 

Check out this article, it should get you going in the right direction. If you get stuck let us know.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Read-in-Multiple-Excel-Files-with-M...

synergy825
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @Luke_C !  This is very helpful!

synergy825
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @binuacs !

Labels