Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

DATETIMEPARSE: Conversion Error Limit Reached

AmitMiller
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello.

I have a sample file with multiple different date formats.

AmitMiller_0-1682507560099.png

I'd like to convert all the date formats to the Alteryx date format.

For this, I wanted to use the Formula tool - and have a separate formula for each format:

AmitMiller_1-1682507610773.png

However, I bump into this error:

DATETIMEPARSE: Conversion Error Limit Reached

I am aware of the DateTime Parse Tool, but it's not helping me, as it can only accept one format.

I assume that the moment this error exists, the work simply stops, which is why I get only null values after the first conversion.

Any help with this? (a workaround would be to check the format of each date via regex before using the datetimeparse(). But that is way longer)

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @AmitMiller 

Error spotting in your code, you're missing the second dot in the format if that helps?

DavidSkaife_0-1682508977229.png

AmitMiller
Alteryx
Alteryx

Nice catch!

But this doesn't resolve the main scenario. I will still bump into enough conversion errors to reach the limit, where the conversion will simply stop.

Not sure how to remove this limit. Or change my perspective.

dYoast
11 - Bolide

@AmitMiller 

Could you filter out the common date formats, use the required formula and then union back together?

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

This is, I think, an impossible task as there's no way of knowing whether 01.02.2023 is January 2nd or February 1st...

However, I had a quick stab at it. And I know it doesn't work, but you might be able to edit to fit your needs.

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

I always understood the conversion error limit to be only for what was reported while the workflow was running, but you can change this in the Workflow Configuration window:

DavidSkaife_1-1682512930436.png

Stop processing is off by default i believe, if you're getting this stopping the workflow it must be switched on and you can up the number per location as well

DavidSkaife_2-1682513106396.png

Deano478
12 - Quasar

This should hopefully assist with what your trying to achieve however it's not a very practical exercise

Labels