Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Cross row calculation help

AlD324
5 - Atom

Hello, everybody i need help creating an alteryx workflow. I want my workflow to do multiple different things. First i want it to group my dataset by transaction number putting all the data with the same transaction number into a group without combining the rows. I also want to sort these transaction numbers by date in ascending order. After that i need to calculate PL. This is done by taking the debit or credit amount and balancing it with debit the debit or credit amount with the value on the next row. This will result in both of those rows showing 0 for the PL. However if there is a debit or credit entry that doesn't have a following debit or credit to balance it out the PL impact should show as the debit or credit amount for that last row. This PL amount should be the same as the debit or credit amount recorded. It should also store this number in the same row. After this i want to filter the dataset so that my final document only shows the PL values that are higher than 500,000. After finding this number i want it to show all of the corresponding transaction numbers that lead up to that final number. I have attached an example of the dataset with the PL value already calculated that can help to visualize this and create the workflow in alteryx

5 REPLIES 5
apathetichell
19 - Altair

Hey - where are you on your build - what errors are you hitting - I'd recommend a cross tab by transaction/date with DR/CR as your columns and Amount as your value. I'd then recommend setting missing values to zero.

Raj
15 - Aurora

@AlD324 
please add some sample input and expected output
will be in better position to help.

AlD324
5 - Atom

Hi i'm currently using a multi row formula tool and a running tool for my calculations. this i where i am seeing problems as the calculated numbers are much larger than expected.

AlD324
5 - Atom

Hi this is some expected input and output for my workflow. The expected income being the debit and credit column and the expected output being the pl column

apathetichell
19 - Altair

@AlD324  - we are volunteers. We do this for fun. We like challenges with Alteryx. We don't like data in png files or jpgs. Having said that the data in your screengrab looks correct. Perhaps you can show what you would like to see vs what you are seeing. perhaps you can share a screen grab of the configuration of your multi-row formula? 

Labels