Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Creating a drop down list for the files in a directory

Serkan_Varol
6 - Meteoroid

Hello, 

How do I create a drop down list (a dynamic one) for the input file names in a directory?

Example: Let's say that I have a directory (a regular folder on the desktop) that has various excel files. That directory keeps get updated (get new files regularly, also some of them are manually removed when needed). What I want to create is a dynamic drop down list for the files in that directory. When the user opens the Alteryx platform, he/she will just click on the that drop down list, and pick the appropriate file from the directory. 

I have already checked the previous posts but could not the find the one that does the job? I guess the solution is the chained app??

here are the sample file

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Here is what I have tried so far. It pulls the values ok , but not dynamically updated (unless I hit "Run" first)

Untitled.jpg

7 REPLIES 7
Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

Hi @Serkan_Varol ,

Please try Tree tool to see if it works for your case.

Configuration

1271826_config.png

Interface

1271826_interface.png

Serkan_Varol
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks. What do I do if I want to continue with "Book1" file and perform some analysis?? How do I see the output? (When I select Book1, no output is shown)

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

Hi @Serkan_Varol ,

Alteryx Designer offers Example for some tools which you can access from the menu.

So when you use a tool in Alteryx for the first time, you may want to check the example.

Example of Tree tool

1271826_example.png

That said, I attach the sample workflow for your convenience.

If you are new to creating Apps, please check the interactive lesson;

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Designing-App-Interfaces/ta-p/243110

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Workflow

1271826_workflow.png

Interface Designer

1271826_interfaceDesigner.png

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

if files are changing - this is a chained app situation. app 1 loads your directory and refreshes the file you use in your drop down., app 2 loads the drop down from the new file. I love the Tile tool but I don't see this as a use case for it.

Now - if app 2 requires a drill by directory to find the right file - yes - you'd use a Tile. The key part of the Tile tool is that you also have to create a match structure file.

Serkan_Varol
6 - Meteoroid

Here is the exact process

1-) There is a directory (a regular folder) that consist of files (excel files). The directory is regularly updated (add/remove files). I want a drop down menu where the user can select a file (dynamically, e.g., book1_before) ). Note: The name must consist of "before" in the title 

2-) Based on my selection in step 1, I want another drop down menu where only "after" files show up (with the same title (e.g., book1_after) but the name must consist of "after")

Attached is the workflow & files that kind of explains the process 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

This gets you to your point above. Now your question is what does the user do with the file after they've selected it. Other questions:

what happens if a user selects two files (or can they select only one)... I'd recommend thinking about the behavior you need here (and remember that your user won't be able to select an excel sheet) and then playing around with it to build your solution. you will need a batch macro. You may need a third app.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Can you mark my solution as correct?

Labels