Announcement | We'll be doing maintenance between 2-3 hours, which may impact your experience. Thanks for your patience as we work on improving the community!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Count Instances of a Word from a sentence in a cell

rakeshseeram
5 - Atom

I have a data  which has a column containing comments entered by various approvers with their email ids. I want to count the no of times an email id is present in each cell. Example in the below image i want to count the no of times XXX@123.com is mentioned in each cell. I want the values to be mentioned as shown in Count column

rakeshseeram_1-1581003911574.png

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You can use the REGEX_CountMatches(String, pattern) function for this, in your case...

REGEX_CountMatches([Comment],"XXX@123\.com")

Important to escape special characters using a backslash like I have above with the decimal place.

Ben

Jonathan-Sherman
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @rakeshseeram,

You could use a regex function to solve this:

REGEX_CountMatches([Comment], 'XXX@123\.com')

image.png

If this solves your issue please mark the answer as correct, if not let me know! I've attached a workflow for you to download if needed.

Turns out @BenMoss had the idea of the exact same solution slightly faster than me!

Jonathan

Joma
7 - Meteor

Hey there,

I have a question. Do you have any idea how to create a list of all words in the string or better in the column and its count.

So, I am not searching for a specific word like in this context, but rather want to know all words and for each words how often they occur.

Best

Bluebird_Tim
7 - Meteor

Hi @Joma  - was searching for this exact thing, think I came up with something easy if you don't know regex.

First whatever column you want to do this for, drop all the other columns with a select tool so that you only have the column you want to analyze as the output

Second, Use a text to columns tool and split rows with the delimiter being a space (you can literally hit the space bar or \s either will work).  On the output there should be only 1 in each row

Lastly, use a summarize tool and do a group by and then a count.  The output should have the word in the first column and the second should have the count (frequency) of that word.  If you are on the amp engine you will want to sort afterwards.  

Hope the above is helpful let me know if you have questions!

Labels