Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Converting YYYYMMDD String to a Date YYYY-MM-DD but getting a NULL

myersm4
5 - Atom

I am trying to convert a string field to a specific date format. After reviewing previous posts and trying several examples provided, I am still seeing nulls returned.

The string field I need to convert has a couple of different formats of the data, so I am using a Text to Columns tool to isolate the string of data I need. When adding the formula tool to create a new date field it is returning null. 

ToDate(datetimeformat([DOS1],'%Y-%m-%d'))

I have also tried using the DateTime tool to convert string to date with yyyy-MM-dd format but that is also returning null. 

See attached workflow to view the current data coming in and the expected output. 

Example Input: 

20221202-20221203

Expected Output: 

2022-12-01

2022-12-02

4 REPLIES 4
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @myersm4 

Use this function

datetimeparse([DOS1], '%Y%m%d')

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1671551174445.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@myersm4 One way of doing this

binuacs_0-1671551551164.png

myersm4
5 - Atom

Thanks for the fast replies!! I had a light bulb moment after I posted this question and figured it out. I used: DateTimeFormat(DateTimeParse([DOS1],'%Y%m%d'),'%Y-%m-%d') 

and no more nulls! 

Date Time Parse was the key :)

BLachney
5 - Atom

My data comes in as mmddyyyy (vstring). I've tried using all of the examples for an input string that arrives as yyyymmdd in various ways and nothing works. I still get a null value. Does anyone have a solution for converting from mddyyyy format? 

Labels