Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Convert String into Valid Date Format

TomBock
8 - Asteroid

Hello Experts:

This is my first time posting in this forum. I need some assistance with converting a string into a valid date format.

Quick summary:

A) SELECT tool outputs string value, e.g., "Oct 13 2009 12:00AM" >> [EMP_START_DATE]
B) REGEX tool removes time; therefore, output is now, e.g., "Oct 13 2009" >> [EMP_START_DATE_CLEAN]
C) DATETIME tool shall convert value from, e.g., "Oct 13 2009" to, e.g., "10-13-2009" (i.e., mm-dd-yyyy) >> [EMP_START_DATE_CLEAN_2]

At the present time, however, I get the following error:
ConvError: DateTime (63): EMP_START_DATE_CLEAN_2: Cannot convert "Oct 13 2009" to a date/time with format "%m%d%Y" and language "English": Expected a number for Month: 'Oct 13 2009'

My question: How do I properly configure the DATETIME tool as defined in C)?   See below current setup and error output.

Thank you.

a) Current Setup:

Convert_String_To_Date.JPG

b) Error Output:

Convert_String_To_Date_Error.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@TomBock 
First point, you might be missing space in "%m%d%Y"

It probaly should be "%m %d %Y"

DataNath
17 - Castor

Those specifiers are for the DateTimeParse function. For the DateTime tool I believe you’ll need to use: Mon dd yyyy

https://help.alteryx.com/20223/designer/datetime-tool

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

Hi @TomBock ,

DateTime tool can convert either

from Date/Time format to String

from String to Date/Time format.

In your case, your input is "Oct 13 2009" and your desired output is "10-13-2009", which are both "String" type.

If you want to convert in that way, you need to first convert from String to DateTime type, and then convert the DateTime data to a new format of String.

If you use Formula tool, the formula would be as follows:

DateTime = DateTimeParse([Input],"%b %d %Y %I:%M%p")

Output = DateTimeFormat([DateTime],"%m-%d-%Y")

And you don't need to use RegEx tool, as Alteryx has specifiers for various date/time format.

https://help.alteryx.com/20223/designer/datetime-functions#specifiers

TomBock
8 - Asteroid

@Qiu -- thank you for the feedback.   Unfortunately, no change.

@DataNah -- perfect!  Your solution worked brilliantly!  

Solution.JPG

TomBock
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for everyone's contributions.   I very much appreciate it.

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris

@TomBock 
Yes, I am sorry it should be "%b %d %Y".

Capture1A.PNG

TomBock
8 - Asteroid

Again, the solution provided above works great.   

Unfortunately, I realized that my REGEX tool now requires some tweaking.   That is, not all records include the "12:00AM" suffix.   

I posted a new topic @ REGEX tool requires "tweaking" - Alteryx Community

Tweaking will ensure that all records come into as "Mon dd yyyy" in order for the DateTime tool to properly convert strings into date values.   

Labels