Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Configuring an action tool to append user input to the name of an output file

ksamuel
6 - Meteoroid

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

I have a SharePoint output tool with a connection to a text box interface tool (see image). I want to have the user input from the text box tool to be appended to the file name of the output file to SharePoint. HI am trying yo figure out how to configure the action tool (see image)  in the middle to achieve this. I believe I need to use the action type Update Value with Formula" but I can't figure out a formula that works.

Thanks in advance!

ksamuel_0-1685645080863.png

ksamuel_1-1685645100698.png

4 REPLIES 4
lynnesonneyrsm
8 - Asteroid

@ksamuel you should be able to check the box at the bottom for "replace specific string" to help with this. 

I would update your sharepoint output file to be "DU Output_append.xlsx"

then check the box for "replace specific string" and enter "append" in the box to the right. This means that whatever the user puts in the text box will replace the text "append" with whatever was typed in.

i.e. user types in "test1"

output file will update to "DU Output_test1"

attached is screenshot of this in practice with a normal output tool (rather than sharepoint), but the logic is the same

albert_alaluf
9 - Comet

@ksamuel Action tool is great but sometimes very complicated. I suggest you to use constant variable. Unfortunately I don't use Sharepoint, if you send me the screenshot where the filename goes, I will tell you how to configure.

ksamuel
6 - Meteoroid

@lynnesonneyrsm  That seems like a good solution. Thanks, Should the Value to Update be "FileName"? Does it even matter?

lynnesonneyrsm
8 - Asteroid

@ksamuel  Yes! It looks like you have the correct parameter highlight in your initial question. Be sure to mark the solution as accepted if this solved your issue!

Labels