Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Configure Select Records Tool

mkeiffer
8 - Asteroid

Hi there,

When using the Select Records Tool, I was wondering if there were other ways to populate the record numbers that I wanted to isolate, aside from just hard coding them when I configure the tool.  

Is there any way to use the Record ID tools or perhaps some other tool or variable values to configure the record numbers with the Select Records Tool, besides just typing them from the keyboard?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike

5 REPLIES 5
gaoa
11 - Bolide

Hi @mkeiffer 

Maybe using a combination of Record ID and Filter tool (Custom Filter) will allow more flexibility. 🙂

mkeiffer
8 - Asteroid

@gaoa That is what i was thinking.  I tried using the Record ID tool along with the Filter tool but I get an error when I tried using the Record ID value in the Select Records tool.  When configuring the Select Records tool, it looks like the record numbers have to be typed in, but I was trying to see if I could use other tools to supply the record number values. 

gaoa
11 - Bolide

@mkeiffer I see. It seems only numbers can be typed in to the Select Records tool. I'm curious to see if anyone else has any ideas! It surely would be great if functions/fields/conditional statements can be typed in so the tool becomes more dynamic.

Select Records Tool | Alteryx Help

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

@mkeiffer ,

It depends on your reason why you want to avoid "hard coding".

If the rows you want to select can be defined by logic, you can simply use a Filter tool.

For example, the two tools below returns the same output.

Yoshiro_Fujimori_1-1677896988920.pngYoshiro_Fujimori_2-1677897004350.pngYoshiro_Fujimori_3-1677897031608.png

If there is no way to determine which rows to select by logic and you want to decide it ad hoc basis,

you would be better off putting the line numbers in Select Record tool.

Of if you want to decide which rows to select every time, you may want to build it as an APP instead of Workflow.

mkeiffer
8 - Asteroid

@Yoshiro_Fujimori Thank you so much for taking the time to post this answer.  This was very helpful! 

Mike

Labels