Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Configure Run Command tool to move a file

AndrewW
11 - Bolide

I have a number of files in a directory, some of which I'll process, some of which I won't, but all YXDBs. Once all of the files I want to process have been processed then I want to move them to a different directory (or maybe delete, still TBC). I can do this using the command prompt.

The difficulty I'm having is how to run the command prompt, how to configure the Run Command tool. Apparently it needs either a Write Source or Read Results, I can't think what these could be to run a command in the command prompt.

I'll actually be generating the list of files to move into a list and am comfortable using a macro to alter the Command Arguments to dynamically load the command line details. What I don't know how to do is to get actually get the Run Command configured.

Note I've seen this prior question on a similar note, http://community.alteryx.com/t5/Data-Preparation-Blending/Using-Run-Command-to-Move-files/m-p/8958, but I prefer to do the Run Command mid-workflow and not use the Events if possible.

Frustratingly I'm unable to upload my 19kb screen shot of the current Run Command configuration so to describe I have entered "cmd" in the Command section and the correct arguement in the Command Arguments [Optional] section, which gives the error "Either an Output connection or Input Connection is required"

20 REPLIES 20
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

what's in Cmd3? Can you autofield it before your run command, or change the string type? Is it really that huge?

Labels