Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Comparing 2 Spreadsheets for Differences

jmmart08
8 - Asteroid

Apologies as I'm sure this question has been asked so many times.  I am trying to build a business case for the need to get Alteryx, and I am just looking for some advice on which tool(s) I would need to use to compare 2 spreadsheets to highlight any differences in any cell in both data sets.  I have figured out how to sort the 2 different inputs so the columns are lined up.  I'm just looking for a way to now compare the 2 sheets for any differences in any cell.  I have attempted using the Join tool but not sure if that is producing the result I want.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

10 REPLIES 10
jmmart08
8 - Asteroid

Hi Joseph

Thanks again for your workflow.  Works great but I am running into an issue with the data I have.  So in the workflow you so generously created for me, you've got Products and Sales as basically your row headers, and then their accompanying values.  Makes perfect sense to me.  Record 3 of the sales "Header/Name" value on Sheet1 differs from the Record 3 value of the sales "Header/Name" of Sheet 2.

I have basically 4 more "Headers" in my data, and let me try to explain what is happening.  Using the sample you provided to me, let's say that you had 2 additional rows of data in which the values are 50A and 50B.  Let's say those match in both spreadsheets, the same RecordID on both sheets shows sales of 50A for let's say Product D and the same for sales of 50B.  If I was to switch say spreadsheet 2 to show Product D Sales value of 50B but have spreadsheet 1 show Product D Sales value of 50A, this should show a difference correct?

The issue I am having is I again I have 6 total "columns" that I am trying to match values for on all.  I have scenarios where the biggest error I am really trying to account for is the individual that enters into 2 different systems manually has a tendency to flip (Using real data for me now) Accounts that are A and B.  For example, 402A is entered in 1 system and then 402B is entered in the other system.  But both of these accounts exist in each system so 402A and 402B are both valid entries but they're reversed from 1 system to the next.  I am not getting any difference (I have added formulas, filters, etc to parse down my data to get each system exact) at the end.  So 1 of my columns, quantity, is clearly off and sheet 1 doesn't match sheet 2 and the same would go for the amount.  But I come out with matched still at the end.  Any ideas you have?  Apologies for revisiting this as it has been extremely helpful!

Labels