Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Combine multiple sheets in an Excel file with different header and order

Beth630
5 - Atom

Hi,

I just get a task to combine some sheets in one Excel file, and the sheets names are the dates ( 07012021, 07022021... ), but the headers and order of the sheets come out different, so when I use an input tool to get the sheetnames and link a macro input tool to read all the sheets, get the error message Error: Dynamic Input (20): The file "...\07022021" has a different schema than the 1st file in the set.

If use Excel only I will find and replace the "OrderNum" to "Order", or "Amount" to "Price", but I cannot find a better way to reorder the columns or rename the fieldnames automatically. 

OrderCustomerStateAmount

AddressIDAmountOrderNum

OrderStatePriceCustomer

PriceOrderStateNameCustomerID

And I tried to design a macro to rename the header, split the data and header, transpose the header part and Find & Replace to match the fieldname, then Union the header and data. But how to use this before read the sheets is a problem. 

Beth630_0-1626456527973.png

5 REPLIES 5
dougperez
12 - Quasar

Can you send me this macro too? 

JoaoLeiteV
10 - Fireball

Hey there @Beth630,

Try checking out this tutorial. I think this can help you out.

The best solution is reading all files in a folder to get their path, then use a Macro to read each excel and get their sheet names, then another macro inside the first one that receives a fullpath + sheetname and read each individual sheet, appending the results by name.

dougperez
12 - Quasar

Hello!

I created this to do the work...

Beth630
5 - Atom

@dougperez Here is my Macro to fix the header, I would like to read each sheet into this macro and replace the header into the same words, and then join them with name, to generate a full worksheet with each record, but still not work. And your solution is super cool to solve it, that's really something that I never tried, Thanks.

Beth630
5 - Atom

Beth630_0-1626474833437.png

But it will be easy to combine the columns. Just use Formula tool and set some conditions we can join the data to correct columns.

Beth630_1-1626475990389.png

And the result:

Beth630_2-1626476089496.png

Thanks again for Andrew's solution and your share.

Labels