Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Combine File Output / Rename with Blob Tools / Email as Attachment

khennenf
5 - Atom

I would like to have a single workflow where I can go through steps to create an excel output file that overwrites a cell range so that I can preserve conditional formatting within the excel file. Then once that file has been created use the Blob Input/Output tools to rename the file with the current date and then use that file as an attachment to an email. 

I can do all of the steps I need to separately, but I'm not sure how to bring it all in to one workflow because the output file of one step is the input file for another. Capture.PNG

Any help would be appreciated! 

3 REPLIES 3
PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @khennenf 

I hope I am understanding what you are asking for, please see below.

You can attach the renamed file with the current date to be sent out via the email tool. If you want to bring in the present-day date, you can use the DateTimeNow() formula within a formula tool. You can use this field in the output tool to add the date to the file name via a column.

You should be able to bring in any output files or input files all at once into a workflow depending on where it's needed in the workflow.

For the email tool, you should be able to attach the finalized output to the tool in order to be sent out.

Hope this helps, if it does please like this post and if it helps resolve your problem, mark it as a solution. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

khennenf
5 - Atom

Yes, but my question is more how can I make sure that Step 1 creates the file, Step 2 uses the file from Step 1, and Step 3 uses the file from Step 2 if I'm not able to control that they execute in that order? 

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I would recommend dragging the tools that you want to run first, first when building out the workflow.

1) Drag all the tools associated with step 1 first.

2) Drag all the tools associated with step 2 second.

3) Drag all the tools associated with step 3 third.

If you hit Ctrl + F within Designer. you will be able to see an ID associated with each tool name. In Designer, workflows are usually run in chronological order based on tool ID.

Hope this helps, if it does please like this post and if it helps resolve your problem, mark it as a solution. If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Labels