Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Changing Multiple Header Names in Numeric Fields

pliskers
7 - Meteor

I have a set of data that contains individual dates as field names in the format "yyyy_mm_dd".  I'd like to eliminate the underscores and simply have an 8 character string as the header for each field.

I've tried using a SubString formula with the Multi-Field Formula tool, but am getting error messages about the formula returning a string while the field contains values.  I then tried using the ToString and ToNumber functions in the formulas but it's just not working out as desired.

How can I convert the string in my field headers while retaining the values within that field?

Much appreciated!

4 REPLIES 4
Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

It looks like Dyanmic Rename is going to be your friend on this one. See Attached.

Treyson Marks
Senior Analytics Engineer
pliskers
7 - Meteor

Spot on, exactly what I needed! First but certainly not the last time I’ll be using this one!

thank you!

Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@pliskers AWESOME! I am glad that we were able to solve this.

I hate to ask this, but could you flag this as solved so that other users that have this question in the future can see this as a solution?

Treyson Marks
Treyson
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Also, with Dynamic Rename there are a lot of other options that you have. If you notice that the right input is greyed out, there are options to send in a list of field names that you want to rename. For example if you are pulling an API and the field names are not friendy (eg. RecordID returns as RECORD_ID_FIELD__C), you can bring in essentially a list of find and replace names for the field headers. I have attached an example of some other ways to use this. The entire developer tool set is amazing. Mastery of these will really take your Alteryx skills to the next level!

Treyson Marks
Labels