Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Can you specify line breaks with concatenated data?

dicksonsp
5 - Atom

When concatenating lines of data, can you specify how the lines breaks?  I have some long text data and the text is on multiple rows.  I have found a way to summarize and concatenate the data using the summarize tool.  However it is just running the data together into one cell.  The file has a format column that specifies the line breaks, is it possible to specify how the concatenated data line breaks?   Attached is an example of how the data looks in the input file and how I would like it to output with the specified line breaks.  

TIA

5 REPLIES 5
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @dicksonsp 

If I understand your objective correctly, here's how you can achieve that. 

- I used the 'l' value in the [Break Format] field in a Multi-Row Formula tool to assign a {Row] value, unique to each [Text ID] value.

- The first step is to create the rows of text by grouping on the [Text ID] and [Row] values, then Summarize (with no separating character, except maybe a space, depending on your input data).

- Now that we have the rows built out, the last step is to Summarize again, but only grouping by [Text ID] and using a newline character as the separator. This can be done using the RegEx method "\n" to refer to the newline character.

20201005-SummarizeNewline.PNG

Check out the attached workflow and let me know if you have any questions. 

dicksonsp
5 - Atom

Thanks @CharlieS !  This was very helpful!  And it is what I was looking for.  

Original_Yodies
8 - Asteroid

New line in summary tool is great

gayvaz004
6 - Meteoroid

Hello Charlie,

Thanks for the explanation.

What I am looking for is just the opposite of that. 

I want to group my data based on "Firma adı ilk 2 Kelime" and use concatenate tool to list all the emails in one cell. However, what I want to do is to see every different e-mails in the new line at the same cell.

When I am tring to use /n as seperator, the output includes "/n" as a tex and add it into the beginning of the new e-mail.

Thanks in advance.

gayvaz004_0-1643792215473.png

VCAM
5 - Atom

Hi, try "\n" and not "/n". Did the same mistake few minutes ago! :) 

Labels