Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLUCIONADO

Calculate last working/business day of week

Rkornack
Meteoroide

I am working with a dataset of stock market trade data going back to 1998. There are only line items on trading days, so no weekends or holidays. I need to calculate weekly performance  as:

Close value on last trading day of the week (mostly Friday, but not always) – close value on last day of the prior week

Over

Close value on last lay of the prior week

To do this, I need to determine the last working/business day of week, and the last business/working day of the prior week. Any help would be appreciated.

7 RESPOSTAS 7
caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Getting weekends and weekdays is doable on Alteryx, but for Holiday, you'll need to have a separate Excel file that has all the holidays from 1998 - and depending on where the holiday is for. That requires some online searching to get what you want. 

You can make a Master Calendar using the generate rows tool, and start from 01-01-1998 until your desired end date. 

Here's a cheat sheet for ya: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/DateTime-Functions-Cheat-Sheet/ba-p/844353 

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Rkornack 
Agree with @caltang  a dateset with the publish holiday defined is necessay.

Rkornack
Meteoroide

That does not answer my question on how to grab the last trading day of the week

Rkornack
Meteoroide

Wouldn't there be some way to rank the days of the week using DateTimeFormat([Date], '%u'), then lumping in a week number DateTimeFormat([Date], '%W') and year and doing some type of multi row forumula to day if dayofweek is 1 or 2 in some cases then lookup 1 or 2 rows earlier? 

Is everything that you need in your dataset? If this is the case, then you can summarize your dataset with an effective year/week and use that to determine the last day of each week that's in your dataset:

Screenshot.png

Rkornack
Meteoroide

Brilliant solution!!! Thank you!! Would this be easy to adapt to find the last trading day of the month??

@Rkornack

Yes! Actually, its even easier than the workflow above since months don't overlap year to year. Just substitute Summarize Group By [Week] to Group By [Month]. I may be missing a small detail or two, but that should get you most of the way there.

Best wishes!!!

Rótulos