Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

CSV truncates the zeroes from the column as the data flows from Alteryx to CSV

radhikasood1112
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I was performing the data cleaning and everything was fine intil I loaded the data from the Alteryx to CSV using the Output tool.

The csv truncated the leading 0's from the zipcode.

For example : the zipcode was - 08701, but the csv shows the 8701.

Same holds true for many other zipcode values.

I tried this approach - CSV file Data->From Text/CSV 

It is not working. Can you please help?

Thanks,
Radhika

6 REPLIES 6
clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @radhikasood1112,

Is your zip code column a numeric data type? If so, change it to a string data type and that should fix the problem!

If not, could you please include some sample data, workflow, and/or screenshots?

radhikasood1112
8 - Asteroid

Zipcode is a string data type.

radhikasood1112_0-1638929115637.png

Zipcodes in Alteryx:

radhikasood1112_1-1638929188282.png

Zipcodes in csv:

radhikasood1112_2-1638929243222.png

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@radhikasood1112, are you viewing the csv in Excel? That might be an Excel display problem. Try opening it in Notepad or another text app (even Alteryx input). If your zeroes are there, you're good. Just change the display type in Excel to Text. 

If the leading zeroes are gone in Notepad/Alteryx input, there's a deeper problem. 

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

If this fixed your problem, please consider marking the above post as a solution so others may find it.

Or I'm happy to help you keep troubleshooting. Happy solving!

radhikasood1112
8 - Asteroid

I did it. But it doesnt solve the purpose.

Thanks,

radhika

clmc9601
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @radhikasood1112,

I think the problem is in your csv viewer. If you are using Excel, please make sure the column is set to "text" instead of numeric. 

If you want to confirm the leading zeroes exist, try opening the csv in a text editor. 

Labels