Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Block Until Done tool

KSassone
8 - Asteroid

I utilize several "Block Until Done" tools in throughout my workflow to generate an .xlsx file with eleven (11) tabs. I have been running this for 3 years with no issues. However today some of my Output Data (tabs) presented errors:

Output Data (338)
Unable to open file for write: \\**\**.xlsx - Can't open file: \\**\**.xlsx: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (32)
Output Data (443)
Unable to open file for write: \\**\**.xlsx - Can't open file: \\**\**.xlsx: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (32)
Output Data (173)

The file is not open. I rerun the .yxmd and while the error message is the same as above, the quantity may change (1 error; 5 errors; 3 errors), and the Output instances may change (Output Data (167), or Output Data (244)) each to a separate output. They all have Block Until Done earlier in the workflow.

This appears to me to be a timing issue.  It is as if the population of a 'tab' has not closed before the next action begins - and therefore presents with an error.

Has anyone had this timing issue with the Block Until Done tool? Any recommendations on a solution?

6 REPLIES 6
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@KSassone 
I have not encountered this strange issue.

Just a thought, is it possible instead of Block Until Done, we can switch to the approach with using the Output tool by specifying the full path

gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

@KSassone 

Writing multiple sheet in one Excel file with Block Until Done will not work properly when AMP engine is enabled. Please be sure to disable AMP engine.

Have you updated Designer to newer version recently? If so, AMP engine is enabled by default in newer version, and that should be the cause.

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

There is a clash because AMP is turned on, it runs every simultaneously - thereby causing issues in your output because each of the processes are battling to output to the same file. 

There are a few ways around this - if you are on v2023 and beyond, you can use Control Containers for better management of flows. If you are below v2023, then @gawa's solution should work - if you still prefer AMP on, then you may need to resort to something I've done before, here's the link:

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
sathyar
8 - Asteroid

I had an issue like this with my workflow even though the files haven't open.Please use render tool instead of output tool .That helps .

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

I have had these errors in the past and to parrot what @caltang has said, using Control Containers has solved this problem with the most recent updates. 

StephaneP
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here is a great article to present the new Control containers: Control Containers: Take Control of Your Workflow

Stéphane Portier
Sales Engineer
Alteryx
Labels