Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Block Until Done for Separate Streams in a Workflow

paulwini
7 - Meteor

Hi Everyone,

I have a workflow with three separate streams A, B, and C. The inputs all read from a SQL table, and the outputs all write to a SQL table. I need stream A to finish writing to its SQL table before either stream B or C starts running. I know there is the Block Until Done tool available, but my current understanding is this is best used for connected streams.

Does anyone have insights into how I can prevent streams B & C from starting before stream A has finished in its entirety?

Attached is an oversimplified version of the workflow. In my workflow I'll be reading & writing to SQL rather than using Text Inputs & Excel, but I wanted to include a visual representation of how my workflow is designed.

Screenshot 2022-05-27 153017.png

Thank you,

Paul

3 REPLIES 3
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

gnerate rows tool - set it to create 1 record. connect the generate rows tool via an append tool to each of the streams and have it run through a block until done. drop the generate rows column via a select tool prior to output.

make sure to use the "allow appends greater than 16 records" toggle.

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @paulwini!

Another approach would be to utilize the Parallel Block Until Done Crew Macro. It's a nifty tool I use often.

It is very similar to Block Until Done, but instead of having one input and three outputs, there are two inputs and two outputs. Stream 1 will complete before stream 2 begins. Since you have 3 streams, you can stack a 2nd tool to control the order of tools like this:

Capture.JPG

You can download this and other Crew Macros here:

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

I am also attaching a packaged workflow with the macro. Let us know if this helps!

Thanks,
Deb

paulwini
7 - Meteor

Thank you! This was very helpful. Is there a way to prevent the Input Stream B tool from starting until the StreamAOutput tool has finished writing? In my workflow, the Input tool for Stream B uses a query to pull from the SQL table in the output of Stream A, so I need the data to finish writing to the Stream A SQL table before the Input for Stream B starts reading from the table. Thank you for your help with all of this.

Labels