Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Best way to share Alteryx workflow with client who does not have Designer?

sidg87
6 - Meteoroid

Hi All

I have created a workflow using Alteryx Designer, I would like to pass this on to a client who does not have Alteryx Designer on their machine, but they want to be able to click a "button" and run the workflow each day. 

What is the best way to serve the Workflow I have created? 

Should I package it up as an Analytic app? or a Macro?  

Should I host it on Alteryx Server? (my company does have and pays for Alteryx Server) 

Confused on the deployment options out there, grateful for any advice

thank you in advance 

7 REPLIES 7
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @sidg87 you would need to host it on a Alteryx server. They will not be able to run it on their desktop without a Designer Licence. Any workflow or Application deployed to a Alteryx servers can be called by the Alteryx Server APIs so that could be avenue for you.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @sidg87 

Your best option here is to use Alteryx Server. Packing it as Analytic app/macro wont help, to run these archives your client still would need to have Alteryx Designer.

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @sidg87 

Your best option here is to use Alteryx Server.

In Alteryx Gallery, you can use districts to share workflows with users that are not in the company (share in collections if the user is in the company).

Create a tag, associate the workflow with this tag and upload it to the district.

In order to run these workflows, a user will need Designer unless they can run the workflow from the public portion of the gallery. 

Hope this helps. If it does, please like the post and mark it as a solution.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Btw,  your post remembered me about this. I posted now the idea of being able to allow business users to run analytic apps without alteryx designer/alteryx server. For me it would be great if Alteryx team do it.

If you think that this make sense, please support the idea with a vote 😁

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Free-tool-to-run-analytic-apps/idi-p/1049580

PanPP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Felipe_Ribeir0 

Thank you for submitting this idea..

It would be amazing to have the ability to run apps locally without a server or designer..

There are plans to revamp how analytic apps function within the Alteryx platform.. but not to sure how the apps can be governed or shared.. awesome idea you posted!

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Thanks @PanPP 

It would be really useful, and it is really good to know that the apps can become even better!

sidg87
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks Felipe

It seems to be a real shame that Alteryx can't meet such a use-case, we are using UiPath + Python instead 

Would be nice to see Alteryx cater for this in future, I have voted up for your request

Labels