Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Best way to concatenate fields names/crate join key, in an alteryx APP

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

Hi,

I am trying to create a tool that will allow the user to browse files, concatenate headers, thus creating a  join key, then join on this key.

Is this possible to do? 

In designer it would be something like using the formula to create a new field and just do : Field 1 + Field2 + Field3.

Can this somehow be replicated in an analytic app so it can be exposed on the server?

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Robin_McIntosh
11 - Bolide

@wonka1234 - Something like this to start with?  The user selects the input file and then the headers (field names) are concatenated together.  You'd then continue on with the workflow as needed.

Robin_McIntosh_0-1678978952803.png

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@Robin_McIntosh  thanks robin. However I should be more clear, i would like to concatenate entire columns not just header names.

Ie

FirstLast
LouisStevens

to

FirstLast
LouisStevens
Robin_McIntosh
11 - Bolide

@wonka1234 - Added a second flow off the input that I think matches what you need.  You can obviosuly update the Summarize Concatenation to remove/change the underscore.

Robin_McIntosh_0-1678990680709.png

Robin_McIntosh_1-1678990760866.png

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@Robin_McIntosh  this is great - how can I dynamically choose which fields to concat? im assuming an interface tool at the transpose?

Robin_McIntosh
11 - Bolide

@wonka1234 - I think that would require a chained app as you'd have to get a listing of the field names (headers) to populate a chekbox list for the user to select which ones to concatenate.  However, if the headers will always be the same for any file selected, then yes you'd be able to set that up without having to do a chained app.  Is this case where the headers will always be the same?

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@Robin_McIntosh  headers will change! but i have a chained app actually setup! So just to update the transpose tool accordingly would seem to be what i need.

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@Robin_McIntosh  ohh are you saying i need a chained app cuz id need to do this?

wonka1234_0-1678996860423.png

Robin_McIntosh
11 - Bolide

@wonka1234 - Yes.  Since the fields can differ from file to file, you'd need a chained app to pick up the field names from the selected file.

wonka1234
10 - Fireball

@Robin_McIntosh  can this be done in the same workflow somehow? like a block until done , then read in the new headers?

Labels