Join the Alteryx Community’s Maveryx Summer Cup event! Compete, network with others, and earn your gold through a series of challenges from July 24th to August 11th. Learn more about the event here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Automated Input in different workflows

ShantanuDagar
8 - Asteroid

Hey designers!

So I am working on creating automation that in a certain way reconciles data on different parameters.

I have around 16 input files, each focussing on different attribute of  a list of IDs (Primary key) which is a common column across input files. (Number of columns or the name of columns isn't the same in each input file. Only the ID column is definitely common and the same name)

Each input file has it's separate set of filters and formatting before it can be reconciled with each other.

So basically, I have created 16 parallel workflows (different filters and formatting in each) which will be taking each corresponding input file and afterwards will be joined based on a primary key (IDs) to identify any changes or inconsistencies in data with previous data set.

This process is repeated bi-weekly with a new set of input files coming in.

With 16 input tools, 1 in each workflow, it is a kind of cumbersome process.

Is there any way to create the input in such a way that once we select the folder or the directory with all the input files in, it automatically sends the input files to their right corresponding workflows? (Based on naming structure or something)

(ABC mm/yy going to 1st workflow, DEF mm/yy going to 2nd workflow, and so on...)

Being sent to the right workflow will be important.

6 REPLIES 6
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @ShantanuDagar 

If by  16 parallel workflows you mean 1 alteryx workflow dealing with 16 different inputs, then you could use the directory tool to point to the input folder, and use the filter tool to filter the specific pattern name for each path. Something like this:

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1668988069669.png

ShantanuDagar
8 - Asteroid

@Felipe_Ribeir0 

Can you elaborate a bit on what's going inside formula tool. The configuration of that..

I am getting the error: The field "" is missing. Compare the tool configuration with the input stream. (Expression #1)

If my file input1 path is C:\Users\Downloads\xyz and the file name is "Names.xlsx" and sheet name is "new".

Thanks

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @ShantanuDagar 

To input the sheet using the dynamic input tool, you must specify the full path of the file (C:\Users\Downloads\xyz\Names.xlsx for example) concatenated with the sheet name (new). The ||| part is necessary for alteryx to separate the filename from the sheetname.

For you, it would be like this

C:\Users\Downloads\xyz\Names.xlsx|||new

ShantanuDagar
8 - Asteroid

@Felipe_Ribeir0 

Got it. 

So with new input files, I just need to select directory now, right?

I won't be needing to update "input data source template" in dynamic input tool everytime? (If the file names remain the same and the location of directory is also same)

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @ShantanuDagar 

So with new input files, I just need to select directory now, right? The directory tool will see all files inside that folder at the moment that it is running.

I won't be needing to update "input data source template" in dynamic input tool everytime? No, you just need to select it 1 time

ShantanuDagar
8 - Asteroid

Great! Thanks for the solution.

Labels