Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Auto configure the percentile to 25% in the summarize tool

aideenfreeman
7 - Meteor

Hello,

aideenfreeman_2-1656940508346.png

aideenfreeman_4-1656940858590.png

I am trying to get my summarize tool to auto-populate to the 25th percentile but it keeps defaulting to 50. See the workflow attached, I have tried to add "value ="0.25" in the action tool but it is still defaulting to 0.5

aideenfreeman_3-1656940669865.png

I need to keep the workflow in a similar format as the attached as several dropdowns will be feeding into the action tool.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Aideen

6 REPLIES 6
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @aideenfreeman ,

You can update it manually to the 25% - does it revert back to 50% when you do this, is this what you mean by saying it defaults to 50%?

No matter what the tool says when the workflow is built, the action tool can always change those values when the workflow runs. What are you looking for your app to do? If you provide a bit more info maybe the answer is somewhere else

Thanks,

Angelos

aideenfreeman
7 - Meteor

Hi Angelos,

Thanks for the response.

Yes once the action tool feds into the summarize tool it changes back to 50%.

The idea is the user can select different groupings (between 4 or 5 fields). Based on the groupings, a selection of calculations will take place (i.e. mean, mode, median, 25th percentile, 75th percentile). See below

aideenfreeman_0-1656967630641.png

aideenfreeman_1-1656967704579.png

I am now trying to add percentiles to the above action tool.

Thanks again,

Aideen

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

@aideenfreeman not sure if I'm doing this correctly to replicate what you are seeing, but so far it look fine for me

AngelosPachis_1-1656968418074.pngAngelosPachis_2-1656968452536.png

aideenfreeman
7 - Meteor

Thanks Angelos. Ideally, I would like to put both the 25th and the 75th percentile in the same summarize tool so I am not sure if this route would work as it would just be set to 25% for both? Or maybe I am mistaken? If possible I am hoping to build it into the action tool but the value="0.25" isn't working. 

Aideen

aideenfreeman
7 - Meteor

Hi again,

I have found through

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Summarize-Tool-action-value-list/td-p/...

that you can open the syntax in notepad.

I am now trying to mimic up the percentile piece 

aideenfreeman_0-1657016999271.png

but I am getting the following error:

aideenfreeman_1-1657017038174.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Aideen

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It looks like you're missing a closing tag in the XML you're constructing. Your selection of "Inner XML" on that Summarize means that this is what you need to dynamically write:

20220705-Percentile.PNG

From your workflow, it looks like you're Action expression is missing the closing tag ('</Summarize Field>') which should follow the percentile setting (currently you're just ending with the percentile setting). 

20220705-Percentile2.PNG

When I update XML of a single tool like this, I like to wrap that tool in a batch macro so that 

1. I have more that just Interface tools at my disposal to construct the XML needed

2. I can easily review the XML before it is injected in to the tool as a QC process.

I built an example of this process and it appears to perform the task you're looking for. Check it out and let me know if you have any questions. 

20220705-Percentile3.PNG

Labels