Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Assistance in Alteryx app logic to dynamically create new folder

sanky1990
6 - Meteoroid

Hii

I am looking for certain examples of step wise Alteryx workflow logic implementations and assistance for my case.

Here is what I am trying to do.

I have alteryx app which I am trying to build with interface parameter as date entry. At end of workflow I am creating an output as alteryx database .yxdb

My requirement is to create a folder dynamically under Main path ‘D:\Alteryx\Test’ once we run this workflow with MonthYear of passed date.

For example, folder ‘November2021’ should get created if any date in November 2021 is passed to the app and app is run

Output alteryx database name also should be dynamically changed to ‘alteryx_November2021’ and should get created in newly created folder ‘November2021’

So if any other date from other month or year is passed, Ex. App is run with 4th December 2021 , New folder ‘December2021’ should get created under D:\Alteryx\Test and Output database ‘alteryx_December2021’ should get created under this new folder and so on dynamically.

Looking for some assistance in building this logic or some detailed examples of achieving this using single app or using 2 different apps

10 REPLIES 10
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@sanky1990 
There goes my morning coffee time. 🤣

1217-sanky1990.PNG

sanky1990
6 - Meteoroid

Hi

Assuming first folder creation part is run in this flow , where is default path set for new folder?

as in if i want to create this new folder December2021 in specific path D:/alteryx/test , where i should provide this full path in create folder step?

sanky1990
6 - Meteoroid

@Qiu 

@17 - Castor

Also i am getting attached error when i try to create new folder from date

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@sanky1990 
I used the relative path which is defined in Formula Tool #11 and #16.
I have now updated the path as you requested.

1217-sanky1990-1.PNG1217-sanky1990-2.PNG1217-sanky1990-After.PNG

sanky1990
6 - Meteoroid

It worked great
Thanks alot for quick solution

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@sanky1990 
Glad to help and thank you for the accept mark😀

sanky1990
6 - Meteoroid

Just out of curiosity, with same topic , after i created this new output with _monthyear in new Monthyear folder

Now next workflow is using this as input

so next logic i need to build is dynamically select from correct new folder with new output as input to next workflow based on date we pass to 2nd workflow as well

So if we pass december 2 , 2021 to next workflow , it should go to folder in main path December2021 and retrieve database with name alteryx_December2021 created in earlier step as input data tool for this workflow

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@sanky1990 
When you say next workflow, you mean a different alteryx workflow?
If yes, we have to get all the files name there, and find the latest one, I think.

sanky1990
6 - Meteoroid

Yes input tool of next workflow

Logic if we pass any date to next workflow , it should be able to search that folder based on date  (folder December2021 if december date is passed, and retrieve database which has _December2021 at the end from same folder as input tool

we can default prefix part of database name search pattern to alteryx_

Labels