Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Applying a code to to rows with a certain key word.

DanMBrx
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I am looking to add a code to any rows within a data inventory which contain certain key words. The code will be the same for all matching rows and the code will be added to a new column. I then want to be able to merge the the matched rows and the unmatched rows back into the original spreadsheets, the only thing that should be different about the new spreadsheet is the code column added and all rows which contain the key words have the code in said column. 

Sorry that is best I can explain what I need, hope someone can help.

Thanks in advance,

Dan

10 REPLIES 10
geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@DanMBrx 

An example to find.
You can use it with the regex patterns too

geraldo_0-1684431281397.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@DanMBrx Would you be able to provide a sample input file and the expected result?

DanMBrx
7 - Meteor

Alteryx Help.PNG

Hi @binuacs,

Above is a dumbed down version of what I am looking for, this would be where the code for a Maintenance Record is 01.01.A. As you can see there is more text in the cell than just 'Maintenance Record' so I am looking to mass apply codes to all maintenances records regardless of the text surrounds the words 'Maintenance Record' within the cell..

Thanks,

Dan

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@DanMBrx One way of doing this with the find and replace tool

binuacs_0-1684447870829.png

DanMBrx
7 - Meteor

Hi @binuacs

Thank you, this has worked. To take it one step further is it possible to set to find in multiple fields?

Thanks,

Dan

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@DanMBrx  Yes, that is possible, you need to add one more find and replace tool in that case

DanMBrx
7 - Meteor

@binuacs I did this but it is appending another column at the end so I end up with two new columns. Is it just a case of joining the columns further along the workflow?

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@DanMBrx Would you be able to provide a sample file with the expected output?

DanMBrx
7 - Meteor

@binuacs Input would be the same as I added earlier in the thread but with another column with "Document Title" which can also contain the key words we are looking for. Desired Output would be the same with a single column at the end for the code.

Labels